Raw goodness consumed today:
- Large salad with mixed baby greens and cherry tomatoes
- raw cheesecake (recipe below!!)
- my favourite raw cacao shake concoction... mmmmmm.
Lemony Cheesecake (raw vegan)
We have tried a few different raw cheesecake recipes floating around on the web, and this is our version, taking little bits of different recipes and creating our own. I usually make two of these at a time, so I don't have to make them as often. We usually have at least one of these in the freezer. :)
For the crust:
2 cups almonds
1 cup dates
For the cheese:
3 cups cashews (soaked for at least 1 hour)
3/4 cup lemon juice, fresh
3/4 cup raw honey
3/4 cup virgin, unrefined coconut oil (when liquid, see 2nd step)
1/2 cup water
1/3 vanilla bean (seeds only) or 1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
For the berry sauce:
3 cups frozen berries
1/2 cup dates or 1/4 cup honey
- Soaking the cashews makes them nice and soft, and will help make the cheese smooth, so do try to soak them for a full hour before you start the recipe, if possible. So, if they're not in water yet, get those cashews in some water first! :)
- Scoop out a little over 3/4 cup of coconut oil in a glass measuring cup, and place measuring cup in a few inches of very warm water, but not reaching the top of the measuring cup. You could do this in the sink or in a large bowl. This is to warm the coconut oil from a solid to a liquid. Stir every couple of minutes while you make the crust, and it will melt faster. If your house is very warm, and your coconut oil is already liquid, you get to skip this step!
- Place ingredients for crust in a food processor, and process until fine. Press crust mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Check your coconut oil, and double-check measurement once it's all melted.
- Put all ingredients for cheese into food processor, and process at high speed until very smooth. Adjust to taste.
- Pour mixture onto crust. Tap the pan on your countertop a few times to remove any air bubbles.
- Put cheesecake in freezer until firm, at least 3 hours, but I usually do it overnight. The freezer step is important because it sets the mixture. Transfer to fridge and it will be ready to eat after about an hour.
- To make the berry sauce, blend or process ingredients until smooth, and adjust to taste. Store in airtight jar in the fridge, and spoon a couple of tablespoons onto slices when serving.