Friday, November 7, 2008

Getting there slowly...

As we have been adding more and more raw food back into our diet, I've been spending a lot of time thinking, and getting my head on straight. Changing my whole lifestyle involves so many aspects of my life that it's hard to concentrate on all of them. But I want to do this right this time. I want to do this for the LAST time, and make it stick. What really helped me was an article I read by Karen Knowler. She said it was important to continue work on all aspects of your life, and not push anything to the side while you work on other things. This surprised me at first, but then as I thought about it, it made a lot of sense. When I began this journey I originally thought that in order to get myself where I wanted to be and really make a new lifestyle stick I needed to concentrate on raw food. Making sure there's plenty of raw food in the house, reorganizing the kitchen, planning ahead for meals and conquering cravings for cooked/processed foods. Thinking about all the adjustments needed I really wanted to just concentrate on getting my raw food diet on track, and put other goals I have aside for a little while.

But after reading what Karen had said, I changed my mind. I realized she was right and that if I put other things aside and just concentrated on my raw food diet and getting that where I wanted it to be, then when that was on track I would look around and realize that... sure, I had the raw food diet down, but as for the rest of my life, there was not much else going on. I've decided that I need to work slowly on all aspects including my body, mind, spirit and emotions. I can't put the rest of my life on hold. I want to live life, not plan to live it sometime in the future! Putting off other goals until later is just basically putting my life on hold! So, my plan is to work on balancing time for all of my goals, and slowly work towards each of them. Not do one goal at a time. Because the thing is, working on one aspect of your life can support the work on another aspect. Mind, body, spirit and emotions are all intertwined, so when you slowly work on each of them, you get sustainable change. Change that works, because the body as a whole is improving, and all areas are being nurtured. If you work on your physical body but not your emotions for instance, your emotions could get in the way of your physical improvement. In other words your health as a whole is affected when just one aspect of your life is shoved aside.

So, that is what I've pulled out from all my thoughts this week. I'm excited about how much I'm growing this time around. It's made a world of difference looking at my whole life, especially my emotions, and working on my entire self. Not just a portion of it!

If you want to check out Karen Knowler's website, click HERE. She has some great ebooks about beginning on raw food, and a wealth of information about adopting a raw food lifestyle and staying raw. I've really learned a lot from her ebooks, and her weekly e-newsletter. She is so genuine and inspiring. :-)

Please let me know how you're doing too, and thanks for stopping by. :)

Debra

1 comment:

  1. Debra,
    I am so proud of you. You are really doing a fantastic job finding out what you need to be balanced. You are a huge inspiration and I love you so much! I don't think I have been prouder of anybody!! You have so much to share with people and you are so incredibly inspiring. I feel so lucky having you as a kindred spirit. You are just SO strong!

    Love Samantha

    ReplyDelete